Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I can dig it


Finally able to connect to the internet, currently here in Aquaba on our day off, but thought I'd catch you up on some of my first days and the whole camp experience. Site is located 30 minutes away, all offroading in the Wadi...I feel so adventurous. It's so serene leaving at 6 am the moonlight lights up the desert just enough for our 4 FULL trucks including people in the bed race throught the Wadi. It's hard acclimating to dirt surrounding me, but I am adjusting. Our tents are like the Israeli tents,lined with bedouin mats and 4 cots. Every morning around 5am, the donkey wakes up along with the the Mosque's call to prayers on loud speaker. We DO have bathrooms, although we enter the stalls with a bucket of water to flush. :) It's funny seeing camels laying down out on bedouin farms amongst the desert hills, it all blends, their humps and the hills. I now can draw a camel for the first time in my life. We work with a handful of Bedouin men and learn some arabic during water breaks. At the field, we began excavation on site W, it began with heavy lifting of massive boulders, but now we are able to see walls and a terrace. Still waiting for some inscription finds. The first day at the lab, a big group walked to the market around the block to buy a pepsi, everything is pretty desolate. On our way back, some devil child threw a rock and nailed me in the achilles tendon, I reacted with some loud gestures and words. This spread throughout camp, next morning it was swollen and I had to stay back. FML.
I would post pictures from site, but I have been informed that I am not allowed to quite yet, since National Geographic owns it. boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment