Monday, September 28, 2009

The feeling of traveling

As I arrive at SFO International AIrport, it finally hits me that nervous energy that I felt on my first trip to Europe as a 16 year old. Back then the jet lag, weather and culture shock of France in February made me slightly ill. That was the pivotal moment of this relationship I began with travel. It was brutal at times acclimating to the environment, but rewarding once I figured out how to order a decent meal in the native language. That is as much as I can compare for what's come next....Jordan, Im aware of the area, purpose, and lengthy time of this trip. It takes my 2-3 week multiple stays in Europe look like an exploration of the Holiday Inn. Not that it didn't have culture or didn't exceed the expectation I had of a foreign country, but let's be honest this is the Middle East, no real comparison.

I will be living there for two months excavating a monumental site...crazy and staying at a camping site for 6 out of the 7 days a week, even crazier. After hearing the concerns from family and friends, I can't hold up the brave face anymore...that distracting thought crosses my mind, What am I getting myself into? This is a personal challenge and when I come back after this I hope to gain experience and reward myself with a nice pat on the back.
There is a million adjectives I could summarize my current state right now... nervous, anxious, excited, happy, sad, curious, and I guess restless.

1 comment:

  1. ali g!!! i'm so excited for you, but i miss you so much! the next time you'll see me we can go for a drink together (legally).

    ReplyDelete